So it begins. . .
Project Censored by Sonoma State University in California is a compiled list of the most important news items that never made it into the US mainstream media over the past year. Over 1,500 students have been trained in media research techniques since we began in 1976, and it would be hard to find a more mainstream, mostly Californian college student body. The top 25 censored stories for 11/12 include:
1.More US Soldiers Committed Suicide Than Died in Combat: For the second year in a row, more US soldiers committed suicide than died in combat. Experiencing war is extremely disturbing.
2. US Military Manipulates the Social Media: The US military is developing software that will allow it to secretly manipulate social media sites by using fake online personas to influence internet conversations and spread pro-American propaganda.
3. Obama Authorizes International Assassination Campaign: The Obama administration has quietly put into place a de facto ‘presidential international assassination program’, carrying on where Bush left off. The US now even has “death lists”.
4.Global Food Crisis Expands: It was in the news a couple of years ago, buy the global food crisis is actually worsening so that since 2010, around 44 million people have quietly corssed over the threshold into malnutrition.
5. Private Prison Companies Fund Anti–Immigrant Legislation:Over the past four years roughly a million immigrants have been incarcerated in dangerous detention facilities in our taxpayer-financed private prison system where children were abused, women were raped and men died from lack of basic medical attention.
6.Google Spying?: Earlier this year the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) investigated Internet search engine giant Google for illegally collecting personal data such as passwords, emails and other online activities from unsecured Wi-Fi networks in homes and businesses across the United States and around the rest of the world.
7. U.S. Army and Psychology’s Largest Experiment–Ever: In the January 2011 issue of American Psychologist, the American Psychology Association (APA) dedicated 13 articles to detailing and celebrating a $117 million collaboration with the US Army called Comprehensive Soldier Fitness (CSF).
8.The Fairytale of Clean and Safe Nuclear Power:Nuclear power presents a security threat of unprecedented proportions: It’s capable of a catastrophic accident that can kill hundreds of thousands of people, with a byproduct that is toxic for millennia.
9. Government Sponsored Technologies for Weather Modification: Rising global temperatures, increasing population and degradation of water supplies have created broad support for the growing field of weather modification.
10. Real Unemployment: One Out of Five in US:The corporate media wants America to feel secure during a time of unemployment crisis, but people deserve to know what is really happening rather than being told a statistical lie.
11.Trafficking of Iraqi Women Rampant: Human trafficking occurs throughout the world but has become increasingly more prevalent in the country of Iraq due to the instability produced by the Iraq War.
12. Pacific Garbage Dump—Did You Really Think Your Plastic Was Being Recycled?: Many people do not realize that there is a swirling mass of plastic in the middle of the Pacific ocean that qualify as the planet’s largest garbage dump.
13. Will a State of Emergency Be Used to Supersede Our Constitution?: A program dating back to the Eisenhower era of emergency measures for an America devastated in a nuclear attack is now converted to bestow secret powers on the president for anything he considers an emergency.
14. Family Pressure on Young Girls for Genitalia Mutilation Continues in Kenya: In Kamunera location of Mt. Elgon District in Kenya, more than 100 girls were rescued by the Maendeleo ya Wanawake organization before facing genital mutiliation, a practice still widespread in spite of government attempts to end the practice.
15. Big Polluters Freed from Environmental Oversight:The Obama administration has distributed out billions of dollars in stimulus money to some of the nation’s biggest polluters and granted exemptions from basic environmental errors.
16. Sweatshops in China Are Making Your iPods While Workers Suffer:Although Apple claims to be a socially responsible company, some of its suspected Chinese suppliers, such as Foxconn, Dafu and Lian Jian Technology, routinely violate China’s “Law on the Prevention and Control of Occupational Diseases.”
17. Superbug Bacteria Spreading Worldwide: Lethal superbugs that do not respond to any known drugs are emerging. The World Health Organization states that the New Delhi, or NDM-1, superbug was recently found in UK patients who had traveled to countries such as India or Pakistan and has reached a critical point.
18. Monsanto Tries to Benefit from Haiti’s Earthquake: In May 2010, six months after an earthquake destroyed Haiti, the American multinational corporation Monsanto donated to the country 60 tons of corn and vegetable hybrid seed.
19. Oxfam Exposes How Aid Is Used for Political Purposes: In a new report entitled “Whose Aid is it Anyway?”, Oxfam has found that “billions of dollars in international aid, which could have transformed the lives of many people in some of the poorest countries in the world, was spent on unsustainable, expensive and dangerous aid projects that international donor governments used to support their own short-term foreign policy and security objectives.”
20. US Agencies Trying to Outlaw GMO Food Labelling: Concern is growing over the health impact of growing and eating genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
21.Lyme Disease: An Emerging Epidemic: Lyme disease is one of the most political and controversial epidemics of our time.
22. Participatory Budgeting – A Method to Empower Local Citizens & Communities:“Participatory Budgeting” (PB) is a process that allows citizens to decide directly how to allocate all or part of a public budget, typically through a series of meetings, work by community “delegates” or representatives and ultimately, a final vote.
23. Worldwide Movement To Ban or Charge Fees For Plastic Bags: Shoppers worldwide are using 500 billion to one trillion single-use plastic bags per year. The average use time of a plastic bag is 12 minutes. Plastic bags pollute our waters, smother wetlands and entangle and kill animals.
24. South Dakota Takes Extreme Measures to Be the Top Anti–Abortion State: South Dakota is taking extreme action against any person who performs an abortion within the state’s borders.
25.Extension of DU to Libya: President Obama’s undeclared and congressionally unauthorized war against Libya may be compounded by the crime of spreading toxic uranium oxide in populated areas of that country.
Links are to the relevant Project Censored article, where sources are present.